Thursday 28 May 2015

Remain?

It's an interesting word to use. 'Should the UK remain a member of the EU?' As previously blogged, I'm happy with any question that is effectively neutral. Obviously one side in the debate will have the 'advantage' of calling for a positive 'yes' and the other the 'burden' of campaigning for a negative 'no'. But overall I'm happy - I think the 'no' campaign can win, whatever the question, but neutrality is always a good thing to start with.

I'd have preferred a slightly simpler 'Should the UK stay in the EU?' But I'm sure that could be construed as negative by our wordsmiths.

But you know what? I think the term 'remain' is good for the 'out' campaign. I've said 'let's not quibble with the question but win the argument'. I'm not quibbling at all, just considering.

'Remain'?

Obviously 'remain' means 'stay where we are'. So the 'threat' of 'change' is in there somewhere. People don't like change, generally speaking, they prefer what they know, the status quo, they sometimes feel threatened by the prospect of 'change'.

And one can guarantee that the 'risk' of change will be at the heart of the 'in' campaign. It has to be because they have very little else to go on.

So the psychologists will see 'yes' as a positive, and 'remain' as 'safe'. I know I'm splitting hairs here, but sometimes it's worthwhile to do so. You also know that I'm vehemently anti the EU so I'm obviously biased, but stick with this if you're interested, linguistically and politically.

'Remain' is not positive. What 'remains' is what has been left behind. What is left after the good stuff has been partaken of.

What 'remains' of the UK - its history, heritage, culture, values - will be swallowed up by the EU if we remain 'in'. What 'remains' of our power, influence, value to the world, will disappear if we stay 'in'.

What 'remains' after a good meal, or a party, is the detritus. The clearing up. What 'remains' is the dregs.

Our 'remaining' influence on the post Empire world, will disappear. What 'remains' of our ability to control our own destiny, will be given up.

We should 'remain' - be the remnants of - what we once were.

'Remain' within an economic community which is devouring the 'remains' of formerly successful countries like Italy and Greece.

I think 'remain' is a mistake for the 'in' campaign. Not an important or decisive one, but hell I'll take any advantage with which I'm presented. The facts will win in the end, and they, decisively 'remain' on our side.

Thanks for reading.






No comments:

Post a Comment