Sunday 16 March 2014

She wants an interesting knob.. Wardrobe day 6.

The story so far: one,  two, three, four, five, and six. Keep up!

I realise that I'm in danger of blowing away my original headline of 'building a wardrobe' in terms of sensational headlines here, but bear with me. My original headline was 'Door closers' but that was vetoed as being too explicit for a sensitive audience.

Door one (left) tends to want to open itself and drift outwards. Door 2 (middle) is perfect. Door three (right) also wants to open itself at the slightest opportunity. But they all fit OK. Just won't behave as I'd like.

The answer is 'door closers'. If I can just get these unruly doors to 'click' into place I'm home and dried. So I bought some 'click in' catches from Wickes. They have their name on it after all. I needed four, but to buy ten was cheaper than buying four individual ones. Buying a million would have been cheaper still and would have had the same effect. Nothing. They're complete and utter crap. Never buy clip in door closers. They couldn't hold a 2-0 lead in a North London Derby.

And, I'm now starting to realise, the (right) door will soon have a full-length mirror mounted on its inside making it heavier and more likely to want to open.

Anyway the answer is ping things. I have no idea what they're called but they look like this, you have to drill them into the frame and fit a plate on the door but they have a major advantage over the click in catches. They work.

So I've now finished the architrave and the thing is almost complete. I've put a metal curtain rail into the hanging area as it was much stronger than the flimsy 'poles' sold by Wickes and B&Q etc., (for about the same price), put 'rails' in the bottom of both areas of the thing for shoes, installed door jams inside each door-frame to stop the doors going further in - it's almost complete.

Just the painting now - oh and the knobs. We discussed knobs in some depth today: She who must be obeyed said, 'I want an interesting knob'.

'Well,' I said, 'I thought you'd never ask....'

You know that look don't you?

From the start of the project the knob has been her job. Choosing and buying. But I now need the knobs to open the bloody doors because the 'ping things' close them very well indeed. So she went on the internet. I suggested that she might be a bit careful with her 'googling' of knobs but she didn't seem to listen.

Anyway she came down stairs six or seven hours later, looking a little flushed I thought, and told me she'd ordered the knobs, having investigated thoroughly.

Amazon will be delivering them, probably on Monday - they usually deliver before you've actually chosen the product in my experience - how good are they? ;)

And then it will be finished - she's decided to keep the pine doors just varnished, with the rest of the thing painted: I think the doors will be white gloss before long but the thing is, I've built a wardrobe!

Piece of piss. Obviously, for your entertainment, I'll be describing the painting process in some depth next. Not.

I'll be cutting the grass next, bet you can't wait.

Thanks for reading. ;) 

   






No comments:

Post a Comment