Saturday 1 February 2014

Driving an empty bus through Wales in the rain

I drove up to north Wales this week, with 'She who must be obeyed' for a really lovely visit to Conwy Castle and Llandudno. I've blogged about it here. It was really a great trip; three days that was worth a month's holiday. Not the Bahamas (which is overrated in my opinion - and yes I have been) but historic, wonderful, great.

We eschewed Miss Dulcit Tones, on the Sat Nav (I never turn her on until the last mile or so - story of my life ;) ) and instead went up the A5, from Lutterworth to about 10 miles from our destination turning northwards towards Llandudno after 4 hours on the same road.

When you're not in a hurry, (which is a rareity), it's actually quite nice just to amble along the same Roman road (Watling street) letting the world go by in the rain. I mused that we have the A1 from London to Edinburgh, (London to Scotland); the A2 London to Dover and Europe. The A3 from London to the Royal Navy base in Portsmouth. The A4 from London to Cardiff, capitol of Wales. And the A5 from London to north Wales and, effectively, Dublin.

Anyway, the A5 goes from London too, but I picked it up at Pailton near Lutterworth and drove from there via Hinckley, Tamworth, Cannock, Telford, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, Llangollen, Welshpool, Betws-y-Coed (almost) and turned right just before Anglesey towards Llandudno. 

We stopped for a pic-nic in the middle of nowhere - in the car, in the rain - in a car park near a school by a chocolate shop, somewhere on the A5 in mid/north Wales. There was no-one about. A few cars passing. In the lap of the mountains. Desolate but not threatening. Houses around, but to my mind, no indication of what people do in this part of the world. Nice houses, not shacks. Views over the valley.

Then a bus came into the car park that we were in, didn't stop or even slow down, just turned the corner and went back up the small side road we were on. Empty. Not a soul on board. I looked and the driver and my eyes met through the glass of my windscreen and his. I smiled, such was my mood. He scowled and changed gear and was off.

Driving his empty bus around the rainy streets of this nowhere town for no reason. In the rain.

I felt his pain and his futility in that scowl. And I wish him well.

Count your blessings.

Thanks for reading

  




No comments:

Post a Comment