Sunday 20 September 2015

Is covering women from head to toe really about modesty?

In southern Germany this week, the locals, having 'welcomed' into their communities groups of Muslim men (amongst others) were advised not to allow their daughters to go out alone or to wear short skirts. In case this were to cause any 'misunderstandings' amongst the incomers.

Presumably these 'misunderstandings' mean that if a girl - or any woman actually - is walking the street on her own to go about her normal, ordinary, daily business or wearing a shortish skirt (or just not covered from head to toe in a burqa - or holding up a 'no entry' sign that can be seen from space), it might be construed as a message which says 'please come and rape me.' Or 'I'm sexually available and I'd like nothing more than a strange man I've never met before to come along and force himself sexually upon me.'

I'm sorry but this is fucking outrageous. In every sense. In the West women can venture out on their own and wear whatever they want to wear because they have the freedom to do so. And because our men-folk are not so deranged, immature or deviant as to think that the sight of a well-turned ankle is a signal for sexual attack. Because the men-folk here respect women: admire and appreciate? Yes of course.

Even in my advancing dotage I enjoy seeing an attractive woman and I'll sometimes smile at her in a completely non threatening, entirely friendly way - and the message is conveyed: You look great, well done you. (and that thought is delivered in an utterly non sexual or patronising way). It's one human being appreciating another.

And she, having made an effort to look nice, might or might not appreciate the sentiment, (mostly appreciate would be my guess), but with absolutely no fear or concern about my motives and quite rightly so. Because I don't have any 'motives'. I'm a grown-up and have respect for other people.

I happen to be lucky enough to be married to a beautiful woman. She has occasionally noticed me appreciating another attractive woman when we're out and frowned and I say - 'I can look at the menu darling without ordering dinner'.

'You shouldn't be hungry', is invariably her reply.

The thing is that we shouldn't be having to change our western ways of life in order to accommodate people who are coming into our communities. They should be changing their ways in order to fit in with us.

Covering women from head to toe in a burqa has absolutely nothing to do with their modesty, but everything to do with trying to protect them from the predatory, disrespectful men in their own community. Immature men of all ages who view women as objects and fair game. It has nothing to do with addressing the sexual liberation of 'the West' and everything to do with trying to dissuade some of the 'animals' in their own societies.

And yes of course there are Western men who cannot control themselves - who are mentally 'challenged' in this regard - but these men are few and far between, not a significant percentage of our society. Not significant enough, for example, for authorities to recommend a universal change in behaviour when Western males come in to an area. The reverse does not seem to be true.

Tell me please how this is good for this country?

Thanks for reading.









No comments:

Post a Comment