Tuesday 10 December 2013

I'm sick of being told I'm a racist

To be honest it doesn't happen very often. In fact it never has happened. But still...

Come round for a meal. If you'd like a glass of wine that's cool. If you're abstemious, that's fine. If you eat meat I can cook it. If you don't I do some great vegetarian stuff. Vegan if that's your thing. I like vegan, it's healthy and good and interesting - my daughter is a vegan and we all enjoy eating that way. It's not difficult, just veggie but no dairy. It's not rocket salad.

You'll be warmly welcomed. Whatever background you have, whoever your parents were, whatever your politics. Whatever the colour of your skin, wherever you're from. And nothing is off limits. If you want to talk about inequality, or the issue of race, or 'the nasty party', or God that's all just fine by me.

And we might disagree; the debate might be heated and passionate. I'll listen to your views and have an open mind about them. The deal is that you have to do the same. That's reasonable I'm sure you'd agree. Above all, I will respect what your views are - I might disagree with them, but you need to understand that that is my right just as I respect your views. I would not dream of trying to impose my views on life or my belief mechanisms on you and I'd humbly ask that you take the same approach.

The bottom line is that when you leave it will be as a friend. Someone who may have a different view of the world from mine, but who is nonetheless worthy of respect; sympathetic to the struggle of ordinary people like you and me.

That's all I ask. Is it too much?


No comments:

Post a Comment