Saturday 31 March 2012

It's a hard drive

Mac hard-drive finally fell over for good yesterday - it's alright for you with your smart phones and iPads, this is my window on the world!

In desperation - a new one is not an option at the mo - decided to try to transfer the hard drive from a previous, very old white mac book.

What could possibly go wrong? In any case, if it didn't work, I'd throw it out anyway and use a PC or, more likely, not bother at all.

Anyway, I found 'precision screwdriver and glasses repair kit' and set to work: Now there are 12 tiny cross-head screws for the case, but..

Is that the end of the story? Nah. Two further sneaky ones inside the battery case. And then a cover under that which needs to come off...

At this point Indiana Jones comes out on a microscopic horse & then, under this cover, two final screws, but with different non-X 'heads'.

Not phillips but very small allen keys, for midgets. Actually I suppose anyone can use them. But small, not 'allen', more like 'al' keys. 




But distinct from keys used by drunk people late at night which don't fit the bloody hole in the door, no matter how big a run-up you take.

As you can imagine, I was delighted 2 find these unfamiliar little screws 4 which I had no tools, standing between me and opening the thing

Anyway, this presented the need for precision and patience - clearly playing to my strengths.

So I carefully, and patiently, jammed a flat head screwdriver into the alan key head, applied pressure and twisted. It worked. Eventually.

Opened the cover, like it was a land mine, removed another screw holding the hard drive then out with the old and in with the even older!

Refitted it, put back all the screws, covers, battery: Delighted and surprised to find no screws left over. Pressed 'start' and....

Fuck me it worked.

The bad news was that I was now in 2006 in terms of software and operating system, the good news, is that in 2006 I had some good stuff!

Adobe creative suite, Dreamweaver, Quark Express and Microsoft Office, which, now I've updated to Snow Leopard, all still works! Result..

Only problem now is my broadband speed is akin to an asthmatic vicar riding up Dinas Mawddwy Pass on a penny farthing.

But it's like a new signing! Sorry if you're bored now. The end.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment