Friday 5 July 2013

Where did God go wrong?

You'd have to say, if God had created us as some sort of experiment concerning free choice and how people of the same species might work together to solve problems, feed themselves, create freedom and equality, work out how to live together in a way which serves the common good, that the experiment has been something of a failure. Who knows, he may even now be reaching for the etch-a-sketch button and giving us all a shake to go back to a blank screen.




'I added a bit too much greed. A bit too much selfishness. A tad too much aggression. And nowhere near enough generosity.

'Even though I preached it from the highest hills, my message about 'love thy neighbour'; 'do unto others' etc., there was just too much greed and selfishness for it ever to succeed.

'I thought I'd put in enough generosity. There was loads of it in the mixture. Children are born with it ingrained in them. Mass-murdering fuck-heads can be reduced to tears by the death of a loyal dog but not by the deaths of their fellow humans.

'And allowing them to use Me as an excuse to go to war? To kill their fellow humans? That was never part of the plan.  I'm baffled about how my mortal creations can do evil to others - people who are exactly the same as them - in My name.

'Of course it's all about power and control. Of course some people have different qualities - I thought that would be a good thing. Leaders would lead others but they would (in my plan) do so in a way which benefited everyone, looked after the stragglers, made the most of the different talents that everyone has. And those leaders might enjoy a higher standing in society; they might even be better rewarded than some others, but not to the extent that now seems to be the case.

'Certainly not to the extent that they try to dominate and control everyone else for their own benefit rather than the benefit of all.

'It's all a bit of a mess. Actually a total mess. And I can see no evidence to suggest that there's any real hope for the future. It's all conflict, exploitation and war. Not for principled good, but for political and economic reasons. The supression of minorities and especially women. How can 50% of my creation be treated as second class?

'Jesus? Pass me the etch-a-sketch button before they do it themselves.'


No comments:

Post a Comment