Saturday 21 April 2012

Seth. Yeth, Seth

Seth Lakeman hails from the West Country and is, in my opinion, a really talented guy who is playing a part in a revival or renewal of folk music in the UK. I'm not an expert on the genre, sure it never went away, but he's brought it back to greater prominence with some great albums and an absolutely fantastic live show.

This is Kitty Jay, one of his most popular songs and always, live, a chance for him to show off his musical virtuosity.


I've seen him four times now, at very intimate places like the Roadmender in Northampton and Sub 91 in Leicester last year. I remember at the first gig I went to he was talking about how good it was to be back in Northampton and asked if there was anyone in from Oakhampton. Everyone laughed and he said 'well, every once in a while..'

You'll know this one of course:

 
Last gig I had tickets for, she who must be obeyed wasn't well so I took my son Angus (19) and his best mate, both Art students at DMU in Leicester and both sometime musicians and performers at The Looking Glass off Narborough Road (if you ever find yourself in Leicester of a night!). Elliot (the friend) was fairly reluctant to start with but came along anyway. At the end, after two hours of simply  not being able to keep still even if you wanted to, his verdict was: 'That was f*cking amazing'.


That Minak Theatre's some venue too huh?

Seth Lakeman, check him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment